Welcome to Prairie Country

Fresh food for thought served up any ol’ time by whim of Prairie Sunshine...do bookmark us and visit often. And share with your friends. And thanks for stopping by.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

...............................................................Thomas Jefferson


Friday, September 11, 2009

The Road Not Taken

.
UPDATE: Glenn Greenwald is important reading today.
.
Today is something of a trifecta for the Sunshine clan. Yes, there are the national notes of the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. But for us there are the poignant passages, as well. Sunshine Son marks his 32nd birthday today. And this day is the second-month anniversary of the passing of Mr. Sunshine.

It was remarked that the U.S. Senate honored Ted Kennedy's passing yesterday with words, a black-draped desk, white roses and a poem. It happens to be my personal favorite as well....

The Road Not Taken
by Robert Frost


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Copyright © 1962, 1967, 1970
by Leslie Frost Ballantine.

No comments: